Interview with Matt Cavagrotti and Greg Lucero of Teamsters for a Democratic Union
Radical Minds co-hosts Erin Hagood and Stephanie Gomez interview Matt Cavagrotti and Greg Lucero on the historical and contemporary relationship between socialism and organized labor.
Greg Lucero is a member of Teamsters, Revolutionary Chicago, and the Socialist Party USA. Matt Cavagrotti is a member of Teamsters and the Platypus Affiliated Society.
Topics discussed include:
- Recent wave of American teachers' strikes
- AFSCME vs. Janus Supreme Court decision
- Upcoming contract negotiations between UPS and Teamsters
- Legacy of the New Communist Movement's failed "turn to industry" in the 1970s
- The nature and problems of revolutionary leadership
- Prospects for reviving unionism and socialism in the U.S.
Radical Minds is a radio show exploring the intersection between politics and economics in the modern world, broadcast on WHPK (88.5 FM Chicago). This episode aired May 24, 2018.
The article referenced by Greg is Radical Minds' interview with Mark Rudd, leader of Students for a Democratic Society and co-founder of the Weather Underground, published in issue 24 of the Platypus Review.